Monday 23 February 2009

David Obua: Fit for purpose

So I was sitting here reading back on some of the earlier entries and as is the way with blogs (and football), I found that time has changed my opinions on many of the things I've written previously. With most issues, it's simply a case of hindsight but when it comes to David Obua it's more than just revising and updating opinion. Only 2 months ago, I saw fit to give him a whole blog entry of criticisms - many of which were justified - and things being as they are now, it's only fair that I redress that balance and spend some time lavishing praise on my current favourite player.

Davie O, I'm happy to say that I was wrong about you. Getting the less pleasant bits out of the way first, your petulance and spitting antics were downright cruddy and unnecessary but I like to think that your attitude towards us as fans has changed in much the same way that our attitude has changed towards you. Hearts fans can be critical and demanding, but we reserve the right to pass comment because we're the people who love this club and we'll be around long after you're gone. You didn't warm to us and we weren't keen on you either - we thought you were short on ability and commitment, and laden down with bad attitude.

But then we played Hibs.

You turned up, you put in a shift and for the first time we really saw a player who could contribute something to the team. Perhaps it helped that we weren't at Tynecastle and even moreso that we were at the home of our rivals, the supporters are more forgiving when outnumbered and I have no doubt that this might have lifted a little of the pressure. But you played well and one of my favourite memories of that game was the sight of you standing there on the pitch at the end, open-mouthed and slightly in awe, just watching the Hearts end celebrating and grinning as we applauded. You were the last to leave the pitch. Don't correct me on my indulgent and romantic notion if I'm wrong, but I like to think that this was the moment that you really started to 'get' Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Since then, you've come on leaps and bounds to the point where there aren't many Hearts supporters I know who wouldn't have you as one of the first names on their team sheet. Csaba said you would come good and you did. There's good technique, neat passes, you'll take on and beat your man, nice crosses, great aerial ability - you've even started putting in tackles! And goals too, of course.

It's all good David, let's see some more. Welcome to Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

No comments: