Monday 2 March 2009

The strangest feeling...

Having watched the debate unfold on Jambos Kickback regarding Hibs and their current predicament, I have to admit to experiencing the strangest feelings about it all. I don't want them to end up in the bottom six. Not at all.

According to some, it's not the done thing to have anything short of utter contempt and hatred for your local rivals and this is something I've always found a little difficult to comprehend. I don't want Hibs to achieve anything of note and I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities to exercise a little schadenfreude - opportunities which seem to arise with amusing regularity - but I can't find it in me to actually hate them. How can I hate something which brings me such joy?

I know plenty of Hearts supporters who in every other way are perfectly normal, calm and rational human beings, but also have the uncanny ability to morph into hate-filled, snarling gremlins at the mere mention of Hibs. It's just one of those football rivalry things which must have bypassed me during my formative Jambo years, but I'm perfectly comfortable with my approach. Perhaps I'd feel differently about things if Hibs had ever really managed to be a threat to us but that hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look likely in the forseeable future.

So, they're not doing all that well right now. The fans are baying for blood, Mixu's coat is on the shoogliest of shoogly pegs and the players are more interested in cultivating their penchant for ridiculous hairstyles than actually playing football. I actually heard them booing from a nearby street the other day and all in all, it's really quite satisfying to watch weekly disasters unfold at Easter Road. They're currently sitting in 7th and with 3 points separating them and 6th placed Motherwell, not to mention Hamilton Accies only 1 point behind them in 8th, ending up in the bottom six after the split is suddenly a very real possibility.

Hibs fans were hardly sympathetic when we had the same problem last season and yes, it would be nice to be given the chance to redress the balance in that respect, but for me that satisfaction would be outweighed by the things that we'd miss out on. A top six finish is all very well, as is the race for third, but I'd miss having that final derby at Tynecastle and if we want to get really cheeky about it, with a tough fixture list I'd be more comfortable putting money on us getting 3 points at home from Hibs than anyone else. Plus, it's a derby and quite simply, nothing else really compares. Furthermore, by missing out on a derby we'd also miss out on a ton of cash and we don't appear to be in a position to dismiss this sort of revenue out of hand. Finally, a bottom six finish could see the end of Mixu and quite frankly, I'm a big fan. He might well be my favourite Hibs manager.

We'd miss out on one opportunity to sneer, but it's not as if it would leave us short on material. Hibs are going nowhere fast and we'd benefit far more from having them in the top six....and most importantly, Mixu must stay if we want to see the same farce unfold all over again next year....

No comments: